Sunday, March 4, 2012

Wardrobe Wish-List

One of the things that I've been thinking about lately is the idea of keeping a running list of things that I need in my wardrobe.  Since the idea is to keep up to date with essentials and build a wardrobe around personal style, your best colour palette and body type, here are some items that I'd personally like to see hanging in my closet:

1) A Warm Ivory/Cream toned White Shirt - Since my colour palette is on the warm side (True Autumn) and most of my staples are now centred around warm toned neutrals (i.e. brown, camel, rust, mahogany etc), I still want to include the idea of a classic 'white' shirt, but in my 'best' white.  In order for my wardrobe to work together and in harmony with each essential piece that I bring in, a warm cream toned shirt would be the perfect addition to pair with a pencil skirt of a pair of pants!



2) L'B'D - A Little 'Brown' Dress - The little black dress is considered by many to be the most versatile and important element within a wardrobe - it can be played up with accessories or made to look very professional with the right blazer or even more casual with a nice scarf and ballet flats.  However, why now really make an impression and wear your best 'black' shade!  For me, this colour would be a dark brown.  There are so many amazing deep brown tones available - be in a rich rust tone, a mahogany brown, a dark chocolate brown, a deep golden brown, even a bronzed brown - the possibilities are endless!  To maximize the effect of my colour palette, a little 'brown' dress would be the perfect addition!!!





3) An Autumn Inspired Trench Coat - I've always liked the idea of owning a classic trench coat in an elegant colour.  I find that the warm shades of warm khaki, olive-bronze, golden yellow-brown and/or caramel-yellow-brown are perfect to create harmony and a versatile look with the colours I always have in my wardrobe.  I'm definitely going to keep my eyes out for a timeless and classic trench in one of these shades!!!




 4) Pencil Skirts - If there is one skirt I could wear for the rest of my life, it would be the pencil skirt - I find that my body frame always looks sleek and classic in this type of skirt.  I own a few black pencil skirts which I intend to keep, but I'd also love a pencil skirt in a colour that would work well with the other shades in my wardrobe - once again, that deep chocolate brown or yellow toned brown would be perfect!!!




5) I would love to own a warm light yellowed-cream dress - This colour is hard to come by, but I think it would look so elegant with gold jewelery or even with a pair of warm ivory pearls.  There is something so elegant and rich looking about this shade of off-white.


Learning what your style type is, knowing your best colours and embracing your body type are all so essential when beginning to put together a wardrobe.  Black and White may be safe options for some, but not everyone suits a stark white or deep, dark black shade.  As Suzanne from 'Your Shop Girl' said, why look good when you can look great?  Why wear a little black dress when a little 'brown' dress would make you glow from the inside out?  Why sport a pure white shirt, when a cream toned white would make you look younger, fresher and more professional???  I'm hoping to really keep my eyes open for these items and I can't wait to add them one by one into my wardrobe!!!

1 comment:

Jeanine Byers said...

Awesome idea! I need to do this, too!!