Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Lessons from the past


It has always intrigued me how the women of past generations were so effortlessly sophisticated. I always think of women from the 50's who had that 'Jackie O' look - how did they channel that elegance? I think it all comes down to owning your femininity! I think that women really allowed themselves to feel like women. When you think about it, this era of sophistication occured before the feminist movemcent. I'm grateful that women now have top CEO jobs and are taken more seriously in a world formerly owned and driven by men. However, at the same time, I feel that women are slowly loosing the mystique that they formerly owned!!! I think the challenge today is to tap into the best of both worlds. Why not start wearing feminine skirts to work with a classic white shirt and pearls? Why not put on a pair of elegant long evening gloves for your next party? You can still be that top CEO, look feminine and elegant and be taken seriously. As much as I think the power suit is trendy and fashionable, a simple black dress with pearls or diamonds will never go out of style. If you're looking for some ideas from fashion magazines, here are some hard working women who haven't given up on sophisticated style:


Michelle Obama

Katie Holmes

Reese Witherspoon

Gwyneth Patrow

Catherine Zeta Jones

Thandie Newton

Aishwarya Rai


No comments: