Sunday, February 7, 2016

Minimal, Luxe 'Individualized' Style

Yesterday I spent the day at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto and then strolled around Yorkville.  If any of you are familiar with Toronto, you'll know that Yorkville is a posh, elegant little nook in Toronto with amazing shops, trattorias, cafes and restaurants.  I have to admit that every time I go to Yorkville, I 'people-watch'.  I really like observing and studying what people are wearing, how they do their hair, makeup etc.  I'm learning that style is really about where our attention is.  It starts with the person, then extends out to each persons individual taste, interests, passions etc etc.  I find that no matter what, I'm always attracted to style when it includes: simplicity, luxurious fabric and elegant, well put together makeup.  I also really like that European-Chic sensibility (Sophie Marceau, Monica Bellucci, Sophia Loren, Audrey Hepburn etc etc).  One lesson that really made itself clear to me yesterday as I was people watching in Yorkville, is this very nonchalant, almost Parisian mystique way that women in Toronto carry themselves.  They have that understated look, but it's so finely tuned to their individuality.  I've been studying a lot of 'looks' lately and although many of them are 'chic', they may not represent me the best.  What really makes a 'look' is the person who owns it.  This really made me think back to when I got my colours done and was analyzed as a warm autumn.  I realize that owning my own individuality within my season, is one of the most powerful things I can use to enhance my own style.  I can admire the other seasons, their looks, their elegance, but it isn't 'mine'.  Part of my 'a-ha' moment came when I realized (sitting at a chic little trattoria) that I didn't look like any other woman in the room and for the first time, I wasn't trying to be like 'them' and have their 'style', I was proud and honoured to be the more 'interesting' look in the room.  I had something different and instead of wanting to 'be' something else, it became clear to me, that my style was about owning my uniqueness.  So today's minimal, luxe look, is all about owning the best of 'me':



I began this look my a concealer/foundation that really is the best match for my skin tone - Revlon golden beige.  I then applied MAC Coppertone (a blush I had put into hiding, but wanted to bring it back to life in my makeup bag).  For the eyes, I wanted to use golden shades, so I started with MAC woodwinked on the lid and 'soft and gentle' highlighter on the brow-bone and inner corners of the eyes.  I used Laura Mercier Copper Brown eyeliner and black mascara.  For the lips, I wanted to create a warm, terracotta-peach neutral shade that is 'perfect' for the warm autumn palette.  I decided to first apply Chanel Antoinette and then use MAC Ravishing over top.  I think this look is very representative of my unique colouring and style.



No comments: