Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cool Winter

I recently had a virtual colour analysis done by Lora Alexander and the result was Cool Winter.  Lora has a fantastic book out called 'Color Revival' - I think you can order it on amazon.  However, my absolute favourite thing is her blog http://www.prettyyourworld.com/ Check it out - I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed!!! - The Cool winter analysis result makes sense to me because I started of my journey being torn between Winter and Autumn and then somehow got convinced that I may be a Soft Summer (I think its easy to think you're a Soft since the colours are so neutral and natural that in reality, they look good on everyone - but after a while, I just wasn't convinced that I was a soft because I started missing the more vivid shades that I used to LOVE and that made me come alive when I wore them - such as red, royal blue, fuschia etc- With the soft palette, I started feeling too 'neutral' - almost lifeless in all the soft, muted colours.  My skintone is too intense to be a soft).  Without a proper analysis you can convince yourself of 'anything' -I feel   I've learned that its not what colours you like or are drawn to, its what colours make your skin tone come alive.  I feel really at home with the Cooler, clearer shades:


Cool Winter Makeup:


I started with N4 concealer by Loreal and a tinted moisturizer

I used Breath of plum blush with Gentle blush on the centre of my cheeks (MAC)

Shrinagar Lipstick - a cool raspberry shade (NARS)

On my Eyes, I started with Aspen Summit (Sephora) as a base and applied Cabaret eyeshadow (Marcelle) on the lid into the crease. I then used Aspen Summit again on the lid. I lined my eyes with Phone Number (MAC) and used Cabaret on an angled brush to blend into the upper lashline.


I still like some of the warmer shades - especially the coral and peach shades - I refuse to 'part' with them, but at the same time, I'm looking forward to getting to know my cool winter palette a little better.  Its always fun to play around and not see colour analysis as the end all, be all, its more of an awareness of what your best shades and look are and playing these up for special events or times when you really want to make a good first impression!!!

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

you look lovely :) I've been trying to figure out what colors I would be by myself....but it's proving difficult lol. I keep coming up with soft summer too...but I dunno if that's actually the one for me. Blah. I think I might have to look for assistance lol.

Renata said...

Kimmie, Check out Lora Alexander's book 'Color Revival' - its really helpful - once you get the book, you can get assistance from Lora if you e-mail her (its provided in the book) - you can send her a pic of yourself with no makeup, no flash and in as much natural light as possible - she really does have a gift at helping to determine your season, but her book is very helpful too - she's also coming out with her own makeup line, which is really pretty too - check out her blog/website: www.prettyyourworld.com

Renata said...

Also Kimmie,
Thanks so much for the compliment - I feel these really are my best colours!!!

Kimberly said...

Hi Renata! Just a little update, I looked at her website per your recommendation and signed up to get some help :D. I hope she's able to use the pictures I sent her....unfortunately I don't have the best camera :( but she looks like a pro so maybe it'll work out lol. Just waiting for the results now. I can't wait :D

Renata said...

Kimmie - that is soooo awesome - keep me posted, I'd love to hear what she suggests for you! I'd also be more than happy to do a few posts and makeup recommendations once you find out!!!

Kimberly said...

The results are in! I got the results back from Lora, and she determined I'm a soft summer :). She said that she sees neutral soft summers and cooler soft summers that use more of the deeper, velvety colors which she thinks are better for me. I'm really happy with the outcome, since I think it fits me well :D. Now I just need to start figuring out different makeup looks and outfits that would be in this pallette. Suggestions would be really helpful if you're up to it. :)

Renata said...

Kimmie,
That's awesome!!! If you look at some of my previous posts, I actually have quite a few looks and makeup tips for Soft Summers because I played around with this season for myself before Lora analyzed me as a cool winter. If you want some extra tips or additional makeup tips/colours, please let me know, but you may find what you're looking for just by looking at some of my older posts! I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!