Thursday, July 28, 2011

Steel-Grey Eyes

I recently tried a look where various shades of grey and black were used to create a 'steel grey' toned eye.  I wanted it to be smokey, but not 'over the top', so I used 'print', a medium grey shade on the lid and into the crease and deepened the look by using a black liner and then smudging a grey shade into the top lash line.  I wanted to keep the look 'cool' and balance the rest of the makeup, so I used shades in the magenta family, but kept the application light and low key vs in your face magenta:


For this look, this is what I used:
Here is my steel-grey smokey eye look with a magenta inspired lip:


Eyes - aspen summit as base, print eyeshadow (MAC) lid to crease with a sheer silver shadow on the lid (loreal), smolder eyeliner (MAC) with print smudged into the upper lashline).

Blush - Make Up For Ever #89

Lips: Subculture lipliner with a touch of Magenta lipliner blended in as well (MAC) with pervette lipstick (also MAC) sealed with Make Up For Ever blush #89

I think this look is very pretty and it can be worn day into night!  The eyes are a perfect balance of smokey and defined, as like I mentioned, the look isn't over the top, so it would work nicely for a day event or to the office.  If you find that the cool shades don't suit you (I know I've been blogging about these shades a lot lately) you can try the same look but instead use a bronze shade from lid to crease, add a shade like 'amber lights' to the lid and define the eye with teddy or coffee eyeliner, blending woodwinked or bronze into the upper lash line.  I would then go for a warm blush like Copperplate and use spice or hover lipliner with 'strength' or 'see sheer' lipstick.  For evening, deepen the look with Fresh moroccan lipstick and Auburn lipliner - this is perfect for all the warmer skintoned gals out there!!!
Since I'm creating a lot of looks for my cool winter colouring, I will try my best to offer a warmer alternative for you to follow - this way you can acheive the same 'look' but using your beautiful, warm colours!!!  Also, please feel free to e-mail me anytime if you want or need any colour suggestions for your colouring or season - i'd be happy to help!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That heavy eyeliner doesn't flatter your eye shape at all.

Renata said...

I agree Anonymous - looking back, this isn't my best look - now that I know I'm a true autumn vs a winter, I'm definitely sticking to the brown/coffee shades for eyes and creating a softer, subtle smokey look - what a difference!