Sunday, August 16, 2015

Ancestry, Genealogy and Self Identification

Connecting to my ancestry is something that has always been very important to me.  I started becoming interested in Genealogy way before the learning channel and discovery channel ever made it popular!  I've been asking myself the question 'Who Do You Think You Are?' from the time I saw the first photograph of my great grandparents.  I've been studying my 'roots' for a while now and have discovered some really interesting facts!  I know that I definitely take after both my moms and dads side of the family.  From my dad's side,  my family is Ukrainian, 1/8th Polish and more recently we discovered that we most likely have Hungarian roots as well.  I've been told that my dad's side of the family most likely were Carpatho-Rusyns - I feel that I really connect with my great aunt Veronica - not just from a personality/family connection, but I feel that we resemble one another as well:



From my mom's side of the family, I really connect with my grandmother Olga - Once again, not only are we alike in our personalities and mannerisms, but I feel like we have a strong resemblance to one another:


Why is it that I'm so drawn to learning about my physical appearance in connection to my ancestry?  I feel that a big part of answering that question does help me understand who I am and where I come from.  I want to be able to identify with my roots, celebrate my uniqueness, understand their journey and how it influences my own!!!  I feel a very strong connection to both sides of my family - particularly these two women :)

No comments: