Sunday, January 1, 2012

Cognac inspired makeup



Cognac is such a rich, sophisticated, warm and rich colour.  Its like a deep amber/honey shade, but richer and warmer.  It reminds me of a clearer terracotta colour thats been draped in gold!  I wanted to create a makeup look using cognac as my inspiration. 



Cork lipliner by MAC may seem like a dull brown, but its anything but that - against a golden skin-tone, cork really creates a stunning cognac-like glow, especially when paired with a warm nude shade like Mocha lipstick (also by MAC).



MAC Gold Deposit Mineralize Blush is another cognac inspired shade that I wanted to use for my look - it provides the perfect level of warm!




For my cognac inspired look I started with Loreal's W4 foundation, Bobbi Brown's Warm Beige concealer and MAC's Refined Golden Bronzer.  I then 'layered' on a warm cognac glow by using Make Up for Ever #70 blush and MAC's Gold Deposit as a pop of colour.  I used neutral-warm tones on my eyes, starting with Silent night as a base (NARS), MAC's Soba on the lid into the crease and Woodwinked in the crease/outer corners.  I used Laura Mercier's Brown-Copper eyeliner and smudged Bengali shadow into the upper lash line (NARS).  I finished with two coats of a Brown-Black mascara (Loreal Voluminous).  To complete the look I used Cork lipliner with Mocha lipstick!

In the photos I took I'm wearing a moss coloured top.  I think that if I were to wear this makeup look out, I would definitely play up the cognac elements even more and wear a terracotta or deep amber sweater and/or dress.  I find that this makeup look is extremely versatile and you can wear it both for an elegant day look or sophisticated evening look (espcially sitting next to the fireplace where the warm amber glow of the fire would compliment this look so well - the perfect 'romantic' makeup look!!!)

No comments: